Released in 1989. Produced by J.C. Staff and MTV.
In the year 1580, a man named Lord Nobunaga Oda sends hoards of unholy armies across Japan, slaying all who stand in their way. A young ninja escapes her villages' destruction with a short sword, one of the three mystical weapons that can end Oda's rule. During her quest, she is joined by two other ninjas who wield the other two weapons of legend, the sacred sword and spear.
This is about three ninjas who possess weapons with magical powers. They battle super-powered ninjas with bizarre abilities. It's very much like Ninja Scroll. It's older so maybe it even inspired Ninja Scroll? If you love ninjas with crazy powers then you'll love this movie. This is a very cool anime. I recommend it.
Buy From Amazon
You can buy this movie from Amazon. It goes for around $20-40 (US).
In the United States, Wrath of the Ninja is available for digital purchase on Prime Video. You need to rent it or buy it to watch.Watch on Prime Video
The Prime Video app is available on every set-top box (Apple TV, Roku, Fire sticks, etc.).
Wrath of the Ninja can be watched or downloaded from Archive.org (Internet Archive), or downloaded via torrents from Nyaa. These sites are the best, safest, and most dependable resources to get anime for free.
- To cast the videos to your TV using AirPlay or Chromecast, press the button. This button becomes available when you start playing the video.
- The playable video is English dubbed. If you want Japanese language with subtitles, you need to download Wrath of the Ninja from Nyaa.
- Archive.org tends to be slow. Downloading Wrath of the Ninja from Nyaa is better. Additionally, Nyaa most likley offers a higher quality video, or even a Blu-ray quality video.
- If you don't know what torrents are, YouTube has tutorials. Be mindful that torrent downloads aren't instant. Depending on your Internet speed and number of seeds, it could take up to 24 hours for an anime to download.
- If you need a torrent client, these are the best (they're all free).
- The majority of video downloads from Nyaa are in “MKV” format, and less commonly in “AVI”. If you need a good video player to play these formats, VLC Media Player is the best (and it's free). It's available on every OS, including iOS and Android.
Is the MKV too big?
If you download a large Blu-ray quality MKV from Nyaa, it is possible that your computer or phone/tablet isn't fast enough to play it at full speed. In this case, you can use HandBrake. It's a free video converter; use it to shrink down the video. If you need help using HandBrake, YouTube has tutorials. Another option is to use Plex (mentioned below) because it automatically downsamples large videos when it streams them to your TV.
Playing on your TV
The easiest way to play MKV and AVI videos on your TV is with Plex. It streams movies from your computer to your TV through your Wi-Fi. It's a free app. Install it on your Windows or Mac, then install it on your set-top box (Apple TV, Roku, Fire sticks, etc.). Just note that Plex will only detect these movies in an Other Videos library because the “Movies” library doesn't detect rare/obscure anime classics. If you need help, YouTube has tutorials.
The Dagger of Kamui
A ninja soap opera that takes you on a bloody rollercoaster of lies, betrayal, and revenge!
Jubei helps the Japanese government destroy evil mystical forces.
Ninja Gaiden OVA
Based on the popular game series, a ninja seeks to stop the resurrection of an evil god.
Twilight of the Dark Master
A lone Gaurdian fights to stop Demons from enslaving mankind.