Released in 1986. Produced by Idol and Kaname Production.
Two rival kingdoms vie for fresh water and in the process end up destroying their entire society. As seen through the eyes of an innocent go-between, this tragic story details the depths to which loyalty and everlasting love must be tested, in a futile attempt to save a world from total destruction.
Windaria (a.k.a. Once Upon A Time) is an excellent movie! The story is well-written. Just make sure to have a box of tissues next to you while you watch it, because this movie is depressing. It's also kind of a cult classic. I've spoken to people who aren't that interested in anime, yet they heard of this movie and love it. It was good enough to get a DVD release over here.
Buy From Amazon
You can buy this movie from Amazon. It goes for around $200-300 (US) - wow. Just download it lol.
Windaria can be watched or downloaded from Archive.org (Internet Archive), or downloaded via torrents from Nyaa. These sites are the best, safest, and most dependable resources to get anime for free.
- To cast the videos to your TV using AirPlay or Chromecast, press the button. This button becomes available when you start playing the video.
- The playable video is English dubbed. If you want Japanese language with subtitles, you need to download Windaria from Nyaa.
- Archive.org tends to be slow. Downloading Windaria from Nyaa is better. Additionally, Nyaa most likley offers a higher quality video, or even a Blu-ray quality video.
- If you don't know what torrents are, YouTube has tutorials. Be mindful that torrent downloads aren't instant. Depending on your Internet speed and number of seeds, it could take up to 24 hours for an anime to download.
- If you need a torrent client, these are the best (they're all free).
- The majority of video downloads from Nyaa are in “MKV” format, and less commonly in “AVI”. If you need a good video player to play these formats, VLC Media Player is the best (and it's free). It's available on every OS, including iOS and Android.
Is the MKV too big?
If you download a large Blu-ray quality MKV from Nyaa, it is possible that your computer or phone/tablet isn't fast enough to play it at full speed. In this case, you can use HandBrake. It's a free video converter; use it to shrink down the video. If you need help using HandBrake, YouTube has tutorials. Another option is to use Plex (mentioned below) because it automatically downsamples large videos when it streams them to your TV.
Playing on your TV
The easiest way to play MKV and AVI videos on your TV is with Plex. It streams movies from your computer to your TV through your Wi-Fi. It's a free app. Install it on your Windows or Mac, then install it on your set-top box (Apple TV, Roku, Fire sticks, etc.). Just note that Plex will only detect these movies in an Other Videos library because the “Movies” library doesn't detect rare/obscure anime classics. If you need help, YouTube has tutorials.
EYES of Mars
The planet of Mars is dying. A young psychic is everyone's last hope!
A mage from the Guardian World has been sent to recover a powerful magic artifact. The journey uncovers many secrets!
They Were Eleven
Space cadets must survive their final exam in an old starship.
Gall Force Movies
First 3 Movies
Two alien races are at war: the Paranoids and the all-women Solnoids. A group of Solnoids seek to ensure the survival of both races.